Tuesday 21 December 2010

Christmas Celebrations

CHRISTMAS CONTRIBUTIONS
  • TAPIOCA CAKE
  • PANDAN YOGHURT GAKE

It is Christmas again and Woking and Guildford Community Group are having gatherings. Managed to attend Woking Group but not Guildford Group due to my work. I decided to give the groups equally. Hence I did 2 sets of tapioca cakes and pandan yoghurt cake.  Very Asian style.


Tapioca Cake

Tapioca Cake in Slices



Whenever one mentions tapioca, it makes me think about the Japanese War. Why? Coz my grandfather used to tell me lots about their hardship during the Japanese War in Malaya. Pple were scared, poor and hungry and tapioca was cheap and easily available food.  We are just too lucky these days. When I was little, I was trained to address or say hello to pple by asking  ' Chia pa bui'- ( have you eaten?)  It was a common phrase simply because most pple were hungry during the war and it would be helpful to feed the hungry.

However, instead of  asking ' chia pa bui' these days, it would be ' chia si me' ( what have you eaten?) ? lobster ? big prawns.We are moving fast and demanding more. What type and how expensive is your food  seems more important than trying to fill the stomach. Perhaps I am wrong and this is very much self opinionated.



Pandan Yoghurt Cake
The tapioca cake - really quite like it. Shew... I ate quite a bit before bringing to the gathering... ok, just tasting it.  MMM... my homemade tapioca cake.

Aunt Katie and Aunt Liz bought some pandan flavour and essense when they went back to Asia. I love pandan - lovely smell and nice colour. My old home used to have pandan plant. My mother used it in her cooking and dessert. Miss my mother cookies these days.

The yoghurt used was greek yoghurt. Hence, the cake was very very moist and slightly bitter. The cake had 2 colours- unfortunately I did not manage to take the pictures.  The bottom layer was white and the top layer was green. I thought it was so pretty. Aunt Mei Li loved this cake. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment