Friday 8 October 2010

Chinese New Year

STRAWBERRY DAY (CONT')
Genoese Cake with Strawberries and Cream

 
Genoese is a classic sponge cake. This cake was a double layer cake. The fillings were fresh strawberries and fresh cream.  I decorated the surface with 5 half strawberries, like a star shapes.

 

 

Strawberry Bakes


Strawberry Day

The Strawberry Bakes had been a success.  I cannot really comment how they tasted because before I was able to have a piece myself , all the cakes were gone! With others were busy enjoying the cakes, I was busy chatting ( unofficial consultations) with one then another, then another...  :)


 
SWEET POTATO TRAYBAKE
 

Sweet Potato Traybake

 
Did this with Kew Hong when Hein Tze visited us for lunch at his place. It was kinda spontaneous. Really tasty. Whenever I think about sweet potatoes, I thought about my mum feeding me sweet potato porridge when I was little. Those were the days....

 

 HAZELNUT COOKIES
Hazelnut Cookies

Hazelnut Cookies in tin
Love hazelnuts. Since I have lots of hazelnuts in the cupboard, I decided to make my very own hazelnut cookies. These cookies were extremely thin though they looked huge. Very cripsy, Smelled and tasted very 'hazelnutty'. I brought to work place to share with my work colleagues.

FAREWELL PARTY BAKES
  • CARROT CAKE TRAYBAKE
  • BANANA CAKE TRAYBAKE
  • GORGEOUS CHOCOLATE CAKE
  • HAZELNUT CHOCOLATE TORTE
Carrot Cake Traybake

 
If you have noticed my baking has changed over the years. As I begin to cater for more pple, at times 30-60 pple, I have to change my baking style to traybakes. In that way, I bake even faster and more importantly able to serve more pple.

 
As I generally like fresh baking, I tend to use anything fresh from my fridge, market.Carrots are very useful for baking. This carrot cake was fast and easy to bake. Carrots are full of Vit A. Imagine how many carrots I grated for this traybake- please tell Kitty Cat not to be so generous next time- pple may get Vit A intoxication... hahaha..

 
Banana Cake Traybake

 
You all must be bored with all my banana bakes. I almost try all sort of banana bakes now and now I shall do banana cake traybake instead. The yellowness of the cake was the many many bananas I meshed up for this cake. Hope no one turns into ' bananas'  :O

 
 
Gorgeous Chocolate Cake

 
I have not do much chocolate cakes if you have noticed. Why? Because I have had most of my chocolate bakes done years ago and kinda get bored with it. Everyone or most pple love chocolate cakes. I have several requests from pple to do chocolate cakes for their birthdays or gatherings.  Maybe I should reconsider generating new ideas and skills to do some advance skilled chocolate cake.

 
This Gorgeous Chocolate Cake is a very rich chocolate cake. It is really a nice cake!  I decided to do some piping for the surface but instead when I was piping, I changed my mind and do some drawing. It was like going back to my kindergarten or primary one days when I had to draw some 'corak' style  with colours.

 
My piping technique is not brilliant. Not much opportunities to practise as my baking style is changing to traybakes to cater for large group of pple. Cake decorations take time, patience, effort. Nonetheless, The decorations for this cake should be acceptable. 

 
Dont judge the cake by appearance despite the poor/ ugly decorations. It was truly a nice moist chocolate cake. I love it and remember how nice to taste a truly homemade chocolate cake. Gorgeous Chocolate Cake.

 


 
Hazelnut Chocolate Torte

 

Hazelnut Cake

 
Hazelnut Chocolate Cake is a difficult and unique cake. It does not contain any flour. The rich chocolate and crunched hazelnuts keep the cake in shape. Moreover, this cake needs to be baked with hot water around the tin tray. I actually did this cake few years ago but because it is a lovely and challenging cake to bake, I decided to do it once more. This cake turned out beautifully. The surface was coated with chocolate and  the corner was crowned with fresh hazelnuts. I truly fall in love with my Hazelnut Cake.

Chocolate Cakes and Traybakes

 
The chocholate cakes and traybakes were my gifts for Ah Pang 's Farewell do on Friday Gathering. I must say, the chocolate cakes were very special and rich. I never bake twice, if you get to see it or taste it, enjoy the pictures.

INTERNATIONAL BUFFET GATHERING
  • SWEET POTATO +DATES TRAYBAKE
  • PEANUT OATMEAL TRAYBAKE
  • CHIFFON FRUIT CAKE
  • TERIYAKI SALMON
  • STIR FRY SPROUTS
  • CHICKEN CURRY

 
Fruit Chiffon Cake

 

International Buffet


My traybakes
I decided to organise an international buffet gathering for my work place. It took me a sometime to get the right time, venue and to get everyone together. Many thanks for Ross and Viet for being host this time despite me being the organiser. As we colleagues are all from various countries, I have encouraged each one to bring one of their country dishes to share with others. It was a good turn out with variety of food- Thai, Mexican, English, Indian, Malay, Jap, ....

 
I baked  2 large traybakes- Sweet potatoes+ dates, Peanut Oatmeal Traybakes,  plus a fruit chiffon cake. Also contributed Japanese Teriyaki Salmon, Stir Fried Sprouts and Chicken Curry. For once, I did not cook Chinese food.

CNY- CONTRIBUTION TO WOKING COMMUNITY

  • CHINESE ALMOND COOKIES
  • SWEET POTATO TRAYBAKE
  • COCONUT WALNUT TRAYBAKE
  • LEMON DRIZZLE TRAYBAKE
  • TRIFLE
  • CHICKEN RENDANG
  • CHICKEN CURRY
  • VERMICELLI STIR FRIED
  • SPINACH, TOMATOES,EGG  DISH


 
Chinese Almond Cookies

 
Beautiful Almond Cookies

 
Chinese Almond Cookies in Ferrero Rocher Box as a gift

 
For Woking Community
Chinese New Year is a big celebration for the Chinese Community. I really miss my childhood CNY days. So fun. My maternal grandmother would ensure we get a whole box of sarsi or orange(kam chui). Too many wonderful memories. My siblings will know and understand my nostalgic feeling.

 
I was extremely busy during the CNY season. Invitations for gathering and me cooking, baking and catering for various gatherings.

 
There are many types of Chinese cookies. My favourite is pineapple tarts. I managed to buy some fresh pineapple and the pineapple fillings had been made- lots of effort  but I truly enjoyed doing it. As the time was limited, I was unable to do my tarts in time. You will see it soon in my coming bakes.

 
For this period, I managed to do about min 100 Chinese Almond Cookies.  These cookies were split among my work place, Woking Community, Chichester Gathering.  Cookies- werent they cute?
To make my cookies more presentable, I used the Ferroro Rocher box to fill it up with the cookies, then sealed it with cellotape- just like commercial!

Clockwise- Spinach, Tomatoes with Fried Egg Dish, Vermicelli, Chicken Curry and Chicken Rendang
-Contributions  for Woking Service CNY celebrations

Chicken Rendang

 
Chicken Curry

 
Fried Vermicelli

 

Clockwise- Sweet Potato Traybake, Coconut Walnut Traybake, Lemon Drizzle Traybake, Trifle
All contributed to the Woking Service CNY celebrations

Trifle

 

Sweet Potato Traybake

Coconut Walnut Traybake

 
See the 3 layers- colourful!!

 

Chinese Almond Cookies in Boxes

Almond Cookies in jar

 

CNY Woking Feast

CNY Dessert Feast
All the above- 4 dishes and 4 desserts plus my Chinese Almond Cookies were contributed to the Woking Service CNY celebrations. Can you see my desserts and dishes on the table?

 
I helped out in organising the table and dishes lay out. It was a great celebration and gathering, not just bringing pple together but also the talent in pple. Everyone brought their specialty food and I was so marvelled by the best generous cooking everyone had brought that day. Happy Chinese New Year :)


CNY CHICHESTER GATHERING
  • CHINESE ALMOND COOKIES

CNY Feast at Hery's Home

Desserts

 


 

 
Aunt Kwei invited me to Chichester for CNY gathering. This time it took place at Hery's place. I have not seen Aunt Kwei and her group for some time. Hery cooked lots of nice dishes. The desserts were a combination of Chinese 'Nian Gao', American Chocolate Cake, Malay Cakes and my Chinese Almond Cake.

CNY LONDON GATHERING

 
Irene doing 'Ban Chian Ge'

Aunt Irene's Cooking

 
Aunt Irene, her relatives and I gathering at Crystal Palace

 

Bobo Cha Cha

Various Curries
Irene was in London again. Pei Lin, Emily were present too. I have not seen them for ages. Took an extra effort to meet them at Crystal Palace. Irene is a superb,tough, very capable lady, in my opinion. This time, she cooked to give everyone a big treat. As you can see, there were various curries, prawn mee, bobo cha cha and even 'ban chian ge' . Wow,....

 
She fetched me home later that night. Still remember I was slightly late for my nite shift. The evening was great despite me not able to spend a long time with them :)

BIRTHDAY GATHERING

Anna's Birthday Meal
It was Anna's birthday and I had organised a meal out for us, Heidi, Rhi, Anna and I. Delicious Thai food and most importantly, managed to get everyone together for some real good time together.

DINNER INVITATION AT JB& LINDA'S
  • CARROT TRAYBAKE (PUMPKIN AND SESAME SEEDS)
  • ALMOND CHEESECAKE

 

 
Carrot Traybake with Pumpkin and Sesame Seeds

 
Almond Cheese Cake
Invited to go over to JB's house for dinner. JB and Linda are such amazing pple. They have been generous and contributed a lot to support the overseas students at University of Surrey.

 
As I dont like to go over empty handed, I did some fast baking. Carrots which contain high Vit A is added with pumpkin and sesame seeds which contain high omega 3. Isnt that a brilliant healthy bake?

 
Almond Cheese Cake was a little adventure for me. Cheese is never my forte. Being brought up in traditonal Chinese family, I never have cheese during my childhood days. My beloved mummy never buy cheese let alone cook or feed me cheesy food. I still love my mummy food though. She always gives the best to me and my siblings.

 
Despite not expert in cheese, I actually quite like this cake. I will explore more about cheese next round.

CNY YUM CHA IN LONDON CHINA TOWN

Yum Cha at China Town

All gone!
Yum Cha with Yvonne. We both had a hearty appetite that day. Now you see, now you dont.  Dont we all love yum cha  ;)

Chinese New Year at Chinatown


Kitty Cat at Leicester Square with Beautiful Lanterns

Rushed down after work to London to catch up with Yvonne. Enjoyed the fantastic vibrant atmosphere at Leicester Square. Look at those red lanterns. So pretty. :0
 

No comments:

Post a Comment